“Kunst in co-creatie” (art in co-creation) is a project by the N22 Brussels community centres. Het Huys in Ukkel is one of those 22, an open house right next to the Ukkel Kalevoet station. Ukkel residents are welcome to come for social and cultural activities, but there is also a workplace and breeding ground for talent, an open house for musicians, both beginners and experienced, and with diverse backgrounds. We are located on the edge of a borough with a great deal of potential and a lot of green space. Around Het Huys, there are a lot of newbuild houses and the neighbourhood offers many opportunities.
Ukkel is a strongly French-speaking borough with many older people. The standard of living is higher than that of the Brussels average. The borough is divided into various “neighbourhoods”, and Ukkel is quite hilly! That sometimes makes it difficult to see Ukkel as a unified whole; but “we’re all in this together” is our philosophy. Everything is interconnected.
Participation and empowerment
Our move took place in 2018, followed by the COVID-19 crisis and now an almost entirely new team, which has put our functioning under considerable pressure. Today we are ready for a restart, and this also means a firm rootedness in our new surroundings. Participation and empowerment play a key role in this. We therefore want to explore our surroundings to the full and to plunge into the experiment. In this way, we hope to renew our operations in a sustainable manner and to develop strong ties with our neighbours.
As an artist/arts collective, you will design a co-creative trajectory:
- You will design an arts trajectory, involving the community centre, the neighbourhood where we are located and our neighbours (with a special focus on those in their 20s and 30s)
- You will foster connections and work in a respectful manner with the participants and their living environment
- You will work toward a sustainable end result
- You will make a personal commitment with the participants and review the various facets of co-creation: the idea, the process and the end result are supported by all those involved
- You will be working together with the community centre staff. You will jointly guide the process
- You will be physically present in the neighbourhood and commit intellectually to understanding all its facets
- You will keep to the budget that has been allocated
There is a total budget of 19,500 euros for the project. This includes all costs.
- Applications will be accepted via the registration form until Sunday 01.05.2022 inclusive.
- First selection based on the statement of interest and CV: in the week of 16.05.2022
- Second selection: in the week of 30.05.2022
- Jury presentation: in the week of 20.06.2022
- Work period: August, September, October, November
Ilse Joliet, GC Het Huys, firstname.lastname@example.org, 02/3434658